Monday, January 5, 2009

Polly stuffed clothes into a dusty brown trunk and once it was full, snapped it close. She scooped Nibs, her Persian cat, from off her bed and carried him and her heavy trunk down the stairs. Her mother, Sallie, stood waiting for her and when they met they hugged.
“Be safe please.” She said.
Polly rolled her eyes, nodding, “I will, don’t worry.”
A car horn sounded outside. Polly lifted her trunk, handed Nibs to her mother and headed out to the car waiting for her outside. Betty Kelly, one of Polly’s best friends, slid out of the car.
“I’m so excited! Are you?” Betty asked.
Polly nodded, “I can’t wait.”
They were soon to be on their way to the Towag summer camp for youth. Betty was going and wanting to bring a friend for the trip so her parents had paid for Polly.
“This camp is so much fun!” Betty said mid-way through their drive to the camp. Polly sighed and nodded.
“I know. You’ve said that.”
Betty was a good friend to Polly, but she wasn’t her favorite friend. Polly wasn’t known for being a patient person and she could only handle so much of Betty. But she was looking forward to the camp none the less.
“This is the third year I’ve gone. I’ve loved it both years. I have no doubt this will be any different.” Betty added.
Polly nodded in response.
“There are a lot of cute boys there.” Betty continued. She leaned in close to Polly and whispered, “Last year I had a little fun with a really cute boy.” Betty giggled quietly as she sat up straight again. “You’ll love it!”
Polly shrugged. She was excited, but obviously not as excited as Betty.

After the long drive the girls finally arrived at the camp they both (mainly Betty) were so excited to be at. They checked in and found their assigned cabin where they set out their belongings. By the time they had settled in and explored their new surroundings it was lunch time. They headed to the cafeteria along with a number of other young adults.
As they walked Betty gripped Polly’s arm and whispered, “Oh Polly! Look at all these cute boys!” Polly nodded, eyeing the young men passing them. Betty added, “This will be a fun week!” Polly laughed quietly.
The food that was served was dull and unexciting. Polly missed her own delicious, home-made meals and half wished she could take over the kitchen.
They ate their bland meal quickly and escaped into the refreshing sunlight. They made their way down to the large sparkly lake at the south end of the camp.
“Let’s swim!” Betty said,
But Polly refused, “No. No way.”
Betty sighed, “Oh come on. It will be fun!” Polly shook her head, looking serious. Betty pouted, “Fine. Can we boat?” Polly shook her head.
“Would you boat with me?” A deep voice asked behind them. They both turned and, now in front of them, stood a tall, handsome young man. He had dark brown hair and wore a simple white t-shirt and jeans. He smiled warmly down at Polly. Polly looked serious and confused back at him.
“She’d love to!” Betty said, again gripping Polly’s arm. Polly glared at her then turned to the young man,
“No thank you.” She said and walked past him, away from the lake. She could hear Betty groan behind her. Betty stomped her feet on the ground as she fallowed Polly.
“What was that about? Why didn’t you say yes? He was cute.” Betty said, sounding angry. Polly shrugged,
“I don’t like water, you know that.” Betty rolled her eyes.
“So? You can’t live through a little boat ride so you can be alone with a cute boy? Obviously he likes you.”
Polly rolled her eyes this time, “I doubt that.”
Betty sighed.
Since Polly refused to return to the lake, or be anywhere near it, they found other activities to do. They made jewelry in the mess hall for an hour. Polly enjoyed that, she enjoyed crafts. Then they joined a group of girls in a basketball game. Polly liked basketball too. She had been on a team when she was in high school. It was something she missed.
“This is the last year we’ll be able to go to this camp.” Betty said as they walked to the cafeteria for dinner. “Nineteen is the age limit here. It’s understandable I suppose, but it does make me sad. This is like our last summer to be… Kids.” Polly nodded. She understood how Betty felt, but she herself felt ready to grow up. She was looking forward to the future.
“What are your plans now?” Polly asked.
“Plans? Like when the summers done?” Betty asked, seeming confused. Polly nodded, wondering if Betty was a good person to talk about “growing-up” plans with.
“Well, I don’t really know. I guess I could go to school. But honestly… I’d much rather just be married.” Polly laughed quietly.
“Yeah that would be nice. But don’t you want to learn more? Do you really want to have children so soon?”
“Well, I don’t really know. I haven’t thought about it much. I’m only nineteen. But wouldn’t it be so nice to find some charming, handsome, decently well off young man to put a pretty little ring on your finger and call you his wife?”
Polly nodded, “Yeah. It would be nice.”
“Well what are your plans?” Betty asked. Polly smiled,
“I am going to be a nurse. I’ve joined the United States Cadet Nurse Corps. Starting when the summer ends, they will train me and give me employment and my education will be of no cost to me.”
Betty looked shocked, “A nurse? For the war? Won’t that be gross?”
Polly shrugged, “Maybe, but I want to help. I can’t enlist. I wouldn’t really want to anyways, but this seems good.”

No comments: