Monday, January 5, 2009

“I guess it is good. I have a lot of girlfriends who are doing it too. I don’t think I’d be able to handle it though. All that blood…. Those poor soldiers….” Betty shook her head.

When they got to the mess hall they joined a line of students.
“Why is there this line? Let’s sneak to the front.” Betty said, holding Polly’s hand and tugging her along. When they reached the front of the line they were greeted by a smiling face and a cheerful hello. Polly was shocked; before them stood the young man from the lake. Polly pulled her hand out of Betty’s grip and stepped back.
“Oh, hello again!” Betty said cheerfully, giving Polly a quick grin. “Why is there a line? Isn’t it time for dinner?”
The young man nodded, “It is. Or at least, it is as far as I know, but for some reason they haven’t unlocked the door.”
Betty sighed, “Oh, but I’m so hungry. And so is Polly.” She said, elbowing her friend who glared back at her.
“Well in that case, someone better fix that.” He said, smiling down out Polly who continued to look shocked. The young man pulled a thin black hair comb from his back pocket turned toward the door and slid it in the crack between the two large doors. He pulled the comb up through the space and the girls heard the quiet click of the lock. He opened the door and held it open for the girls, smiling. Betty gasped and clapped her hands.
“Oh,” Polly said, “So that’s how you break into places.” The young man smiled and chuckled quietly and directed her inside with a wave of his hand.

The dinner was yet another bland meal. It consisted of dry ham, slightly burnt macaroni, and over done peas and string beans. Polly dismally pushed her meal around with a fork.
“He definitely likes you Polly. He hardly took his eyes off of you. He is cute.” Betty said. She had been chatty the entire meal, more so then normal, and was practically bouncing in her seat.
“I don’t know. Maybe he likes you.” Polly said, seeming uninterested in their conversation.
“That would be nice, but it’s you he likes.” Betty said. Polly shrugged. Betty giggled, “I’m sure of it.” she said, nudging Polly. Polly turned to see the young man walking toward them. She sighed quietly. He came and stood behind them.
“Hello, how is your meal? You haven’t eaten much.” He said to Polly.
Polly nodded, “I don’t really like the food here.”
“I’m sorry. Do you want me to get you something else?” He asked.
Polly looked confused, “What else is there to eat?”
“Well, we’re really only supposed to go during free time, but there are lots of places to get food less then a mile away.” He said smiling. Betty smiled at Polly. “I’ll take you if you’d like.” Polly shrugged. Betty nodded to Polly.
Betty turned to the young man, “You haven’t said yet. What is your name?”
“I’m so sorry. My name is George.” He said, holding out his hand. Betty shook it.
“I’m Betty. And this is Polly.” She said.
“Hi Polly.” George said holding his hand out to her. She shook it briefly. “So, would you like to join me? Betty is more than welcome to come too.” He added.
Betty shook her head, “Oh no, I have plans with friends. But you two should go.” She said, nodding, staring Polly down. Polly sighed quietly.
“Sure. I am hungry.” Polly said. George’s smile widened.
“Thank you. Are you ready now?” He asked.
Betty stood, tugging on Polly’s arm, “Yes she is.” Polly glared at her friend, but stood.
George led her out and away from the camp into a dimly lit little town. He took them down to the main street where there were a number of stores and a handful of people moving in and out of them.
“You seem to know where you’re going.” Polly said.
George nodded, “I do. I’ve been to this camp every year since I was twelve. I like it a lot here. Is this your first year? I’ve never seen you before.”
Polly nodded, “Yes, this is my first year. Betty’s parents paid my way.”
“That’s nice. You’re lucky. She seems like a nice girl.”
Polly nodded, “Yeah, I’ve known her for a while, and her family. They’re nice people.”
“So, what are you hungry for?” George asked as they came towards the center of Main Street.
“Hmm…” Polly said, turning, looking at all the choices she had. “What do you like?” She asked him.

No comments: