Monday, January 5, 2009

It was their second to last day at camp and Polly was trying to forget about what was sure to come. Each day she and George had become more and more fond of each other. They went to lunch early and walked down to the main street. They wondered in the shops and at about noon ate at Harvey’s diner.
“I have some bad news.” George said, as they ate their lunch.
“What’s that?” Polly asked. George put down his burger.
“I’ll be leaving tomorrow. I have another camp to go to, so I have to leave early.” He said. Polly put down her fork, a disappointed look darkening her face.
“I’m sorry.” He said quietly.
Polly nodded, “Me too.”
“But at least we still have today.” George said. Polly nodded. “Let’s try and make today a good one.” He added. Polly nodded.

When lunch was over and done with they walked back to camp. George got a big blanket out of his cabin and he and Polly relaxed in the shade under a big tree.
“I’m really glad I came here.” Polly said.
George nodded, “Me too.”
That sat in silence for a while until George asked, “Would you boat with me?”
Polly’s eyes widened, “You know I don’t like water.”
George nodded, “I know, but don’t you trust me? I promise you’ll be safe.” Polly looked nervous and unsure but she nodded.
George had brought his own canoe which he carried on top of his shoulders over to the lake. Polly watched as he let it out into the water and held one edge at the shore. “Are you ready?” He asked her. She stared out at the lake, then at him, and nodded. He took her hand and helped her into the boat. He carefully got in after her and then pushed them away from shore. Polly sat at one end of the canoe, wringing her hands and looking nervous.
“Relax.” George laughed. “Trust me.” Polly smiled slightly. He paddled out to the center of the big lake and then pulled the ore inside and let them drift.
“It’s been a good week.” George said. Polly nodded. “I have something for you.” He said. He leaned back and out of his front pocket pulled out a little velvet bag. He held it in his palm and pulled from it a thin gold chain that from it hung a little locket. He held it out to Polly who took it with a slightly shaking hand.
“I bought this for you in town. I thought you might like it. It’s something to remember me by. I can send you a picture of me to put in it later.” He said.
Polly smiled, “I love it. Thank you.” She said and carefully put it around her neck. George reached across the canoe and took her hands in his.
“We’ve talked a lot this week, about a lot of things.” He said, “I think that we have a lot in common and have the same goals. Polly, I don’t know if you feel the same way, but I love you, and I want to be with you.”
Polly’s smile widened. “Yes. I love you too. I want to be with you.”
George smiled. He leaned across the canoe and kissed her softly.


They both left the camp by the end of that week, but those memories never left their minds or hearts. They corresponded by letter and were married soon after.

No comments: